TERMS & CONDITIONS
Effective Date: July 17, 2021
The Chicago Arts Census (the “Census”) emerged after conversations amongst our peers about what a sustainable arts ecosystem would look like. This project materialized after repeatedly hearing and feeling the profound exhaustion that comes from working multiple jobs, oftentimes without healthcare, while trying to maintain an arts practice. The Census translates these anecdotes and realities into quantitative data that serves as an advocacy tool within the arts.
The Census collects, maps, and visualizes data that illuminates the lived experiences and working conditions of art workers in Chicago. The collected data will be translated into a series of maps, a website, a publication, and public programs that demonstrate the interwoven and dependent relationships that make up Chicago’s art ecosystem.
- Acceptance. You must be at least the age of legal majority where you live (which is currently 18 years old in most states) to submit information to the Census.
- Participation in Census.
- Your participation in the Census is voluntary. You may choose not to participate. If you decide to participate in the Census, you may withdraw your participation at any time.
- The Census is confidential. While we collect information about employment, living conditions, debt, demographics, existing support networks, and practices of art workers, we do not identify the Census participants by name. We will not inform anyone regarding your participation in the Census. We do collect your address, although we do not associate your name with the address, and we will not map your location in any data visualizations. Should the results of the Census be published, no individual information will be disclosed.
- While we do not attempt to identify you through your answers to the Census, it is possible that someone with knowledge of you or your individual circumstances could draw conclusions about your participation. We comply with all legal processes, and we reserve the right to disclose identifiable information to the extent requested or required by law enforcement officials or in the event we have a good faith belief that there exists a threat to the health or safety of an individual.
- You will only submit accurate information. You are not required to complete the Census and can leave any question blank.
- The Census consists of approximately 120 questions on the employment, living conditions, debt, demographics, existing support networks, and practices of art workers, and will be available in English and Spanish, online via the Census website and distributed physically at art spaces, libraries, community centers, and on-the-ground canvassing.
- The Census should take you approximately 30 minutes to complete. The information collected may not benefit you directly, but the information learned in the Census should provide support for advocating for art workers and the art worker community at large.
- Risks & Hazards; Cost. We know of no risk to you by participating or not participating in the Census. There is no cost to you to participate in the Census.
- Restrictions and Prohibitions on Use. You may not copy, republish, display, distribute, transmit, sell, rent, lease, loan or otherwise make available in any form or by any means all or any portion of the Census or create compilations or derivative works from the Census.
- Unlawful Activity. We reserve the right to investigate complaints regarding participation in the Census or reported violations of these Terms and to take any action we deem appropriate, including but not limited to reporting any suspected unlawful activity to law enforcement officials and disclosing necessary information.
- Nontransferable. Your participation in the Census is not transferable or assignable. Any password or right given to you to obtain information is not transferable or assignable.
- Limitation of Liability. We are not liable for any indirect, special, incidental, punitive, or consequential damages (including damages for loss of business, loss of profits, litigation, or the like), whether based on breach of contract, breach of warranty, tort (including negligence), product liability, or otherwise, even if advised of the possibility of such damages. Our aggregate liability in connection with any claim arising out of or relating to the Census shall not exceed $100 and that amount shall be in lieu of all other remedies which you may have against us.
- Miscellaneous. If any provision of these Terms is found invalid or unenforceable pursuant to judicial decision, the remainder of these Terms will remain valid and enforceable according to its terms. All terms that logically ought to survive the termination of these Terms shall survive. These Terms shall be governed by the laws of the State of Illinois without regard to conflicts or choice of law rules or principles. Any action to enforce these Terms of Service shall be filed in the State or Federal Courts located in Chicago, Illinois, only.
- Contact Information. If you have any questions or concerns about these Terms of Service, please email us at email@example.com.